Tuesday, May 22, 2012


"Time is a relentless river", floaties necessary.

As I sit here at "All-In", a new local coffee shop in town, my heart can finally sing these words with valor,

"It is well with my soul."

It's been a struggle. We must fight for even moments of rest, lest any extended period of time.

You may ask, what sense does it make to fight for rest? It's simple. If we're not fighting for it, we are fighting against it. Perhaps you're not prone to busy your schedule. We have all been haunted the dissonant noise of a busy mind.

Let us raise our swords to a battle that reaps reward,
not these endless, vain bruisings.

This morning I read a couple a couple of excerpts from my current read, One Thousand Gifts, that resonated with me beneath the surface. From the heart of one busy American woman to another, they read;

"Whatever the pace, time will keep it and there's no outrunning it, only speeding it up and pounding the feet harder; the minutes pound faster too. Race for more and you'll snag on time and leak empty. The longer I keep running, the longer the gash, and I drain, bleed away. Hurry always empties a soul."

"Time is a relentless river. It rages on, a respecter of no one. And this, this is the only way to slow time: When I fully enter time's swift current, enter into the current moment with the weight of all my attention, I slow the torrent with the weight of me all here. I can slow the torrent by being all here. I only live the full life when I live fully in the moment. And when I'm always looking for the next glimpse of glory, I slow and enter. And time slows. Weigh down this moment in time with attention full, and the whole of time's river slows, slows, slows."

"The hurry makes us hurt. And maybe it is the hurt that drives us on? For all our frenzied running seemingly toward something, could it be that we are in fact fleeing-- desperate to escape the pain that pursues?"

"I speak it to God: I don't really want more time; I just want enough time. Time to breathe deep and time to see real and time to laugh long, time to give You glory and rest deep and sing joy and just enough time in a day not to feel hounded, pressed, driven, or wild to get it all done-- yesterday."


[Rest. Reflection. Perspective.]

No comments:

Post a Comment